Wanted: Core taxonomy co-maintainer
Maintaining the core Taxonomy module
In December of 2011, catch proposed that I become a core component maintainer for taxonomy. Joining core's rockstars in MAINTAINERS.txt was both exciting and humbling, and also (though I didn't know it at the time) an important step in my career. Over the following eighteen months, I took on bigger and bigger things--first the core mentoring program, then Views in Drupal Core, and now my new role as the OCTO Code and Community Strategist. Now that helping the community mange Drupal 8 toward its release is essentially my full-time job, I don't have much time for taxonomy anymore. So, I'm looking for help!
What you'd do
Work with me to:
- Check for RTBC 8.x taxonomy issues every few days, and help the core maintainers by ensuring that our RTBCs have clear, up-to-date issue summaries and that they meet basic requirements like the core gates.
- Keep an eye on major and critical taxonomy issues: Make sure their summaries are up to date, that the next step is clear, and that they are actually major or critical.
- Triage the open 8.x and 7.x taxonomy queue once a week or so to make sure issues are filed correctly (including making sure issues are fixed in 8.x first as per the backport policy) and to get more information when needed.
- Identify potential novice tasks among open taxonomy issues, and post and monitor them on the core mentoring website.
- Bring any important questions or discussion to my attention.
If you think you might be able to take some of that on, but you're not sure about all of it--don't worry! I'd help you with each part. I'd hope that you'd do these things at least through the release of 8.0, and afterward as well if you are up for it.
What you'd get out of it
- Insight into Drupal core process.
- Direct exposure to what's new and exciting in Drupal 8, particularly the new Entity and Field API.
- 1:1 mentoring from xjm. ;)
- Karma! People who work on core will recognize your contributions, and so that makes it easier for them to help and support you in return.
- Seriously, is there anything more awesome than having your name in every copy of Drupal that gets downloaded?
How to "apply"
Just start doing the thing I listed above, and ping me! (Either use my contact form, or ping me on IRC.) When it appears that you have a handle on things, I'll roll the patch to add you to MAINTAINERS.txt myself. :)
What about other components?
Does this sound like something you'd like to take on, but you have a different component in mind than Taxonomy? We need active maintainers in all our components, so let me know and I'll help you get in touch with the who's-who for the component you're interested in.
Want to help, but not ready to commit to MAINTAINERS.txt?
That's awesome too! I'd love to have "lieutenants" to help me with some of the tasks listed above. Let me know and we'll get you started. :)
See you in the queues!